- A SW CI having a defined set of functional capabilities.
- Changes to a version to correct only errors in design logic but does not affect documented functional capabilities since none of the requirements have changed.
- A variation of a version developed to run on different types of HW, or to provide slightly different facilities for different users.
versions goes like that
variants (branching versions)
- Two diverging versions may be merged to create a single new version combining both set of change requests.
- Merge operations are typically done interactively with tool assistance
Promotion of a CI
- A CI may be promoted from one developmental baseline to another to signify a change in a CI’s internal development state.
- A Release is used to designate certain promotions of CI’s that are distributed outside the development organization.