Principles for Formulation
- The objectives of measurement should be established before data collection begins.
- Each technical metric should be defined in an unambiguous manner.
- Metrics should be derived based on a theory that is valid for the domain of application.
- Metrics should be tailored to best accommodate specific products and processes.
- Whenever possible, data collection and analysis should be automated.
- Valid statistical techniques should be applied to establish relationships between internal product attributes and external quality characteristics.
- Interpretative guidelines and recommendations should be established for each metric.